Monday, August 17, 2009

my refuge

Tonight... exhausted after a day full of fun -- getting two kiddos off to school, a sick and needy 3 month old, 5 or so hours of work, several loads of laundry, cleaning, getting Amberlee to gymnastics, cooking for 6 kids and 4 adults, and nursing... I almost slipped on day number two. Thankfully, I didn't. Instead, I sat down and decided to open my Bible and see what was there. It was an amazing read from one of my favorite Bible characters, David.

2 Samuel 22 -- David's Song of Praise

"The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer, my God is my rock , in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation. He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior -"

What is a refuge? Webster says it is a shelter or protection from danger or distress. How often to we feel we need this place of refuge? Sometimes for me it's not true danger, meaning physically, but it's emotional danger. I pray for God to help me through the day... to stay calm, remain patient, and have a smile. And what happens, I get so tired and so frustrated that one little thing causes me to let my guard down -- I snap! Why can't I just remember to go to my place of refuge... He will deliver me and be my rock. Hopefully, one day, I will have the wisdom and strength to stop and go there... before I snap, not after!

Lord, please help me to allow you to be my refuge. As David says in his song of praise, help me to remember 'that Your way is perfect and Your word is flawless'. Help me remember that if I allow You, You will 'arm me with strength and keep my way secure'. You will 'provide a broad path for my feet so that my ankles will not give way'. Give me the strength to find You always.

2 Samuel 22:47 -- The Lord lives! Praise be to my Rock! Exalted be my God, the Rock, my Savior!

No comments:

Post a Comment